On February 6, 1910, fourteen charter members met in a school building at Gantt’s Quarry on a Sunday afternoon to constitute a Baptist Church. Thus it chose the name Gantt’s Quarry Baptist Church. In June of 1959, pastor James E. Vanderford led the church to relocate to its present site. The church broke ground for a new building on September 25, 1960 and dedicated its new building on April 16, 1961. On February 4, 1968 the church later became known as Marble City Baptist Church.
The church experienced tremendous blessings in its new location. They started a bus ministry with two buses known as “Matthew and Mark.” The youth program was one of the best in the state. The youth shared on one Homecoming Sunday that they had shared the gospel with more than 7,000 people and saw a 1,000 come to know Christ. In September 1977, the church built the “Family Life Center.” Today the church ministers to young families by having a daycare program which is one the best in the city of Sylacauga.
God has done many wonderful and great things in the past, but the best days for the church are in the future. On January 27, 2008, the church voted to purchase property for its possible future location on the corner of Highway 280 and Canyon Ridge Road. Marble City Baptist Church is about building the Kingdom of God for the glory of God. Our mission statement is making disciples to love God and to love others. The foundation of the church has been laid in the past and we plan to build upon that foundation by being faithful to the Lord through the Great Commission and the Great Commandment.